Monday, May 11, 2009

Babies

It feels like I've babysat a lot this past weekend. Saturday night I spent the night with Tru (Pastor Dru and Trish's 2, almost 3, year old daughter) and today I spent the majority of the day with  Lohi, Nolani, and Kili (Liz and Kili's youngest kids. I probably slaughtered the spelling of their names). The more I think about the things they do and say the more I am amazed at God.
Tru: She and I were outside playing with some chalk and a soccer ball. She acted very sad all of a sudden and was holding her ball. "What's wrong, Tru?" I asked her. "My ball is sad, Feather. I think we need to pray for it." she responded. She bowed her head, crossed her little hands and talked to God. After putting the ball down for a nap she looked at me and said, "Feather, the ball is going to be ok. God will protect it. God will protect me too." In my head, I'm freaking out. How is it possible for a child to say this? She knows how to pray, she knows that God is always with her! So sick! It didn't stop there though. She went on to tell me how she is going to be nice to Hannah and John because Jesus loves them and that means she should love them too. How does she comprehend this? So insane! 
Lohi, Nolani, and Kili: I absolutely love these three kids. There is nothing more to say than that these kids are amazing. Nolani was dancing around to no music, Lohi was waiting her turn to be a ballerina and dance with music, and Kili was on my lap playing with my phone. Three year old Lohi started telling me that she was going to show me how a ballerina danced. "Like a princess?" I asked. "Yes!" she yelled. "Does that mean Nolani is a princess too? And Kili is the king?" I asked her. "No, Header. Kili can't be king. Only Jesus is King. Kili is a prince. I am a princess because Jesus is King." she replied. She said this as if I said 2+2=5 and she corrected me telling me it equalled 4. She even rolled her eyes!
These kids know God! They understand that he loves them. They understand that they are his children and that they are princes and princesses in the Kingdom of God and that one day they will have a castle of their own in Heaven! How can they so easily see and understand this but us as adults can't? Every time I see a child God shows me something new about Himself. He uses the things I love doing, watching, reading, etc. to reveal more of Himself to me. It totally makes sense. I know He does it all of the time. Why does it continue to surprise me? 
If only we could always have a child-like mind...How much more would we believe and trust in Him?

No comments: